1: THE HISTORY OF HAIR CARE
Hair loss, thinning, balding has been a problem that has been plaguing mankind since time immemorial. Its impact on the appearance of the suffering person is so massive that all kinds of experiments are tried & tested by the desperate hair loss sufferer.
There are historical facts to show how ancient people used to take care of their hair.
- CHINA: The Chinese used to wash their tresses with Cedrela, a perennial plant of lightweight fragrant wood. It has volatile oils which helps in keeping biological attacks & insects at bay. The Chinese believed it stimulated the hair growth.
- INDIA: Ayurvedic head massage techniques can be traced almost 4000 years back. Shirodhara was practiced with a variety of oils & spices. The benefits were tremendous from pain relief to relaxation, from cleansing of toxins to removal of stress, to stimulating & strengthening of hair follicles leading to hair regrowth.
EGYPT: In ancient Egypt coconut milk & warm olive oil was used to keep the hair healthy & lustrous. Aloe Vera was widely used as hair care ingredient. Rosemary, Castor & Almond oil messages were in vogue.
2: PRESENT HAIR CHALLENGES
Denizens of the Modern age are facing hair loss & balding; being predominant in almost 65 percent of the population & what is most disturbing is that it’s affecting the young - in their 20s & 30s. As the problem grows, it’s imminent that researchers will look for hair regrowth solutions. Hair care industry has come a long way in past few years - innovation & inventions have brought about varied hair loss solutions and baldness treatments.
The best options available today are-
- LASER HAIR TREATMENT
- HAIR EXTENSIONS
- HAIR TRANSPLANTS
- COMBINED CONCEPTS
Although it’s true that you don’t need to buy funny hats to hide your baldness/thinning, neither you are forced to purchase those outrageous artificial wigs, yet the available procedures of hair regrowth are time taking & expensive.
3: LET’S PEEP INTO THE FUTURE
There is a lot of scope for scientific research in finding better hair loss/hair restoration solutions, procedures. A constant effort is going on as the number of people affected is growing day by day & they are waiting for a miraculous scientific invention that would put an end to hair loss.
Let’s find out some of the possible solutions that can be made available in the time to come. From the most logical to the weirdest-
- STEM CELLS: An extensive study is going on in researching on how to use stem cells in baldness treatment & industry experts are hopeful that in near future a breakthrough will take place.
- WOUNDING: This is touted to be useful for baldness treatment, based on the fact that wound healing results in creating new follicles. Though the jury is still out on its efficacy it is an option being considered by some.
- BEES & PROPOLIS: Japanese scientists have discovered a connection between Propolis & hair growth. Propolis is a substance produced by bees & has been in use for a long time as it is anti-inflammatory. It also encourages growth of keratin which in turn helps follicles to grow. This can be effectively used for baldness treatment.
- DNA TESTING: This will not lead to cure rather it would result in prevention, which is even better. In coming years DNA testing will become affordable to all & it will result in early identification of the problem.
- BEETROOTS: A research on nutrition has thrown light on anti-inflammatory & detoxifying merits of beetroot as it contains both betalain & carotenoid.
- VARIOUS MEDICAL DRUGS: Many are being tested but the major hurdle in use of the medicines has seen some side-effects. If the hair industry experts can overcome that, it might be a pathbreaker.
4: IS THE FUTURE PERFECT?
It is difficult to predict anything but one thing is sure that the future will be brighter as more & more procedures are being tested! In some manner the future is now at organisations such as Advanced Hair Studio who are trying and bring the change on an ongoing basis.