Male Pattern Baldness also known as androgenic alopecia is the very rampant type of hair loss in men. According to research, more than 50% of all men over the age of 50 will be affected by this condition to some extent, developing the spots where the hair regrowth is not possible.
Causes of male pattern baldness
One the main causes of male pattern baldness is genetics or with a family history of baldness. It happens gradually as hormone levels change over the age, especially in the later years. Research says that male pattern baldness is associated with male sex hormones called the androgens. It has many functions including regulating hair regrowth.
Each hair on your head has a growth cycle. With male pattern baldness, the growth cycle begins to weaken and the hair follicles start shrinking, producing shorter and finer strands of hair. Eventually, the hair regrowth cycle of each hair ends and no new hair grows in its place. Inherited male pattern baldness has no side effects usually. However, some may have some serious causes such as cancers, medication, thyroid conditions and anabolic steroids, which prevents hair regrowth.
Health conditions may also be a serious cause of baldness. When a rash, redness, pain, peeling of the scalp, hair breakage or an unusual pattern of hair loss occurs, a skin biopsy and blood tests may be necessary to diagnose disorders responsible for the hair loss.
Doctors try to understand the pattern of hair loss to diagnose male pattern baldness. They examine the patient’s medical history and conduct other tests, to rule out certain health conditions which stop the hair regrowth, such as the nutritional disorders and fungal conditions of the scalp.
Preventions of male pattern baldness
Here are some tips from Advanced Hair Studio, compiled with the decades of experience and client interactions, for reducing hair loss and for hair regrowth are as follows:
1. Find the cause of baldness: There can be multiple reasons of patterned baldness. Don’t always assume that it must be genetic. Find out the real cause of baldness. Usually our hair loss consultants can guide you with the cause with just having a look at at your scalp, with their years of experience and expertise. For e.g. If the hair is reduced in an M pattern leaving the original hairline distorted, but the crown hair is intact, the cause may be underlying disease. Also Hormonal or nutritional deficiencies like Thyroid Problem, Low iron, Low vitamins etc can also cause this trouble. But not always you can analyze the problem yourself and so visit a dermatologist or Hair loss specialist as soon as you see the hair thinning or balding spots.
2. Smart & Healthy Eating Habits: Stay away from fried and sweet food. Skipping oily and fried foods will reduce the oil-gland activity, slowing down the switch from testosterone to DTH. Staying away from a lots of sugar will reduce the insulin flood. Insulin can trigger the release the testosterone making it available for DTH conversion. Take food rich with Vitamins like B complex, C, D and iron. Include fresh fruits and vegetables in your daily diet.
3. Take help of science than of superstitiousness and ads: You will see a lot of superstitiousness going on around, regarding the hair loss. But none of them really helps. Also, there are so many shampoos out their claiming that they can induce the hair regrowth of can stop your hair falling. As every hair has a growing and a resting phase and at any time 1o% or less than that of your hair are going to be in the resting phase and no shampoo can help in stopping it. There are some shampoos medically tested but they are not advertised that much, others are a waste of time and money. Instead if you really want to take the drugs, Stick with the tried and tested solutions: finasteride (Propecia) and minoxidil (Rogaine). But mind well, they both are better at maintaining what you have, not at gaining what you have lost already.
4. Relieve your stress: The stress can add to hair loss. Spare some time of the day for yourself. Exercise, listen to the music you love, do whatever you like. Meditation helps in stress relieving too. It won’t regrow your hair but will definitely help maintain what you have left. Face your hair loss and accept it. Balding men tend to cope in three ways: They compensate by focusing on fitness or fashion, dodge mirrors, or simply accept the changes up top. Acceptance takes the stress out of hair loss while the other strategies increase it, a German study found.
5. Try a new look: Dump your comb.Sometimes men with a good physique and fitness tend to like a shaved head. Many hollywood actors do this and still look good. Infact a bald head can make a man look more mature and dominant than a man with the head full of hair. Most of the times shaving your head can turn into a vast improvement in your look rather than a head with bald patches. Try this look. Some of you may have already tried it. Let us know in the comments what were the outcomes. (Some people say that they can bench-press with more weight with a bald head then with a head with bald patches. Joking.)
6. Use the lights to come into the limelight: A scientist was trying to see if the laser light can cause cancer but instead he found out something else. The Laser doesn’t induce the cancer but definitely induce the hair regrowth. Studies have found that a Laser hair treatment can give you the noticeable results in case of hair thinning and Make your hair follicles stronger and healthier. There are many solutions available in the market like laser hair treatment in Advanced hair studio, a home laser hair treating helmet under AHS Fitness and Home Program, Laser hair combs etc. So you can either have a hair loss specialist administer the treatment or invest in the helmet.
7. When Anything doesn’t help: Get hair transplant: Gone are the days when hair plugs made scalp look more like a brush then the head with natural hair. The site, from where the hair plugs were removed, looked like a polka dotted head because of the circular scars. Now are the days of FUT and FUE (We’ll explain you more about hair plugs and hair ). This are just a one day technique which can give you natural looking hair with the minimal scars, virtually undetectable. We can show you the hair regrowth results for yourself once you visit our studio over a coffee. If you get it done by the expert plastic surgeons noone will be able to make out the difference between the transplanted hair and your natural hair. Have a look at some of the results.
Let us know in the comment if you know any other treatment or solution we can add in the list. Or if you need help with any of the above techniques, book an appointment with Advanced Hair Studio.