There wouldn’t be anyone who has not suffered embarrassment due to dandruff at some point in their life- the flaky, snowy irritants!
The exact reason of what causes dandruff is not very clear but the known fact is that it is a condition of the scalp which causes flakes of dry skin to appear. It is at times accompanied with mild itchiness.
Malassezia, a harmless fungus found on our scalp, along with the dead skin cells, which occur in the natural process, are supposed to be the reason behind dandruff formation.
Other reasons such as poor hair brushing habit or not shampooing as often as required, skin diseases or certain medical conditions or even improper diet, can trigger the growth of dandruff.
Dandruff is not a disease but rather a condition which causes irritation & unease. If it is not taken care of & the problem aggravates, then it may lead to skin problems which will need a doctor’s attention. See this guide to nourish your hair during winters & help them grow.
Winters aggravates the problem of dandruff as the cold winds & dryness saps the moisture & makes the scalp more prone to dryness. This also gives rise to itchiness on the scalp. The most frustrating factor is that they are stubborn and don’t leave you easily.
1. Regular Washing & Conditioning - Many a times, during winters we wash hair less frequently than in summers. This results in cleansing the scalp & maintaining the oil balance.
A good anti-dandruff shampoo should be used at intervals to control its growth. Conditioning is very essential to keep your hair in a healthy condition.
2. Brush/comb it two times a day - Combing or brushing the tresses at least two to three times during the day is beneficial as it removes the flakes and also stimulates blood circulation to the scalp.
3. Periodical Oiling - Once a week oil massage will help in keeping the dandruff at bay. The selection of oil will depend on the quality and requirement of your hair.
4. Try Grandma’s home remedies - Using ingredients easily available and known for their anti-bacterial & anti-fungal properties such as neem or tulsi leaves, or baking soda or vinegar- are tried and tested to provide relief from dandruff. You’ll find more here - Natural Treatment Hair Masks
5. Keep Stress under control- Stress is known to give rise to dandruff and eventually, leading to hair fall. To keep it at bay, you should adopt to meditation or yoga or a moderate exercise regime.
6. Adopt Balanced Diet - A balanced diet is the building block for healthy, luscious manes. Your diet should be rich in vitamins, zinc, iron, protein, etc. ensuring healthy scalp & follicles.
7. Drink lot of Fluids - It is mandatory to keep yourself well hydrated during the winters by the intake of lots of fluids. This will help to retain the moisture on the scalp & control dandruff production.
If you are plagued by stubborn dandruff which does not leave your scalp however much you try, you can visit Advanced Hair Studio. Take a Advanced Hair Check and let the Expert advice on how to overcome your hair problem.